August 31st, 2011
Hottest Month on Record: August 2011
July 2011 quickly lost its record-breaking status as the hottest month ever in Austin’s history (records going back to 1854). The new winner is…August 2011. The average temperature record in Austin (Camp Mabry station) was 91.6°F breaking the July 2011 record of 89.7°F.
August 24, 2011 was the 70th day this year that temperatures reached 100°F, breaking the 1925 record of 69 days. And summer isn’t over yet.
- highest temperature ever recorded in Austin; 112°F Aug 28, 2011 (tied with Sep 5, 2000)
- hottest August ever recorded in Austin; breaks the 2009 record of 89.1°F
- hottest month ever recorded in Austin; average temperature, 91.6°F; breaks the July 2011 record of 89.7°F
- average high temperature was 104.8°F; breaks the 1923 record of 102.9°F
- average low temperature: 78.4°; breaks the 2010 record of 76.7°
- Most consecutive 100°F days, 27: July 17 to Aug 12; breaks record of 21 days: July 12 to Aug 1, 2001
How does this compare with other years? Here are the warmest August temperatures: 1854-2011. Not only have I been here for every one of them, but they’ve all been in the last decade.
1. August 2011 91.6
2. August 2009 89.1
3. August 2010 88.7
4. August 2006 88.5
More stats via Natalie Stoll on the KXAN Weather Blog.
by M Sinclair Stevens in Austin, Texas